Wednesday, September 26, 2007

KRISTIAN VALEN: "Professionals built the Titanic, but 1 amateur built the Ark!!!"

A COLLECTIONS.no EXCLUSIVE: Interview with artist Kristian Valen by Roger Norheim about creativity and life in general. This is the first interview under the label COLLECTIONS RECOLLECTIONS, in which personalities will share advice and thougths about creativity:



Firstly, could we have some of your personal views on shower cabin interior design solutions? Are bullet-proof shower curtains the hit of the season or not??
-He he, I'm not so deep into shower curtains.. as long as u can c through them :)

Musician, Stand-Up comedian, TV-star, etc. Have you ever considered a normal occupation like teacher or dentist?
-He he, to me this is a "normal" occupation and always have been. But I have studied medicine in the army + my mom's working within the medicine business and my dad was as soccer player. (That's the closest I came after dropping out of the national youth team to my dad's big disappointment.
The most important thing is that you do what YOU like and what you feel gives you something back. In my case, the feedback from the audience is the biggest kick in the world!
Having total strangers all over the world walking up 2 u on the street saying that something you did/wrote/sang/acted have had an impact on their life in a positive way....can't describe it! Better than ANY drug! (And maybe sex...or...no...forget that ;)



What is the story behind your new single “Where is Jesus”?
"WHERE IS JESUS"
(No, it has nothing to do about religion!)
Why the word Jesus? It is a metaphor! Since a lot of people look towards religion when times are tough.
The record label chose the title since I could not make up my mind. It is really a simple song about 2 people who says thank you for standing by each other when times are hard! In a way, he is singing to her and telling her that "she is his religion", and together they can overcome anything!



Your blockbuster hit DVD versions of your TV and theatre shows prove that you are more popular than ever. 5000 friends on Facebook confirms this. Why are you so popular?
-He he, what is popular? You should ask the people who have made my life a dream come true....they are the reason that I'm living a dream! Without them, I am nothing!
My advice for making it entertainment industry is 3 things:
-Hard work
-Hard work
-Have fun and ONLY do things that you REALLY find funny/interesting and good yourself!
-Hopefully a little bit of talent.... I HOPE :)
-And lot's of luck and timing...

The sad thing about the business now is that it is almost ONLY about who you know, and NOTHING about quality or how much time or work u put into it.
BUT: NEVER GIVE UP!!!
Those who are afraid to fall will never fly!!!!
AND REMEMBER: Professionals built the Titanic, but 1 amateur built the Ark!!!



Is your bag a real Dolce & Gabbana, or is it a cheap rip-off from a sleazy market in Spain?
-He he, I have many bags.... I never buy things that are "branded" and REALLY flash the logo etc... but I either go for the really cheap one if I like it, or the real D&G...NEVER buy fake brand!!!!!!

You go fishing in Kenya? Why?
-It helps me to relax...the sound of the ocean, the open sky, not knowing what you will pull out of the water + Kenya and Africa is one of the most beautiful places on earth!! I go there as often as I can!

Is your gay character, Kjartan, on Valen TV based on a personal experience?
-He he, who said he was gay?
But ALL of my characters and stories on TV/film, stage etc is based on true story's/events or real people I have met :)



Do you have a childhood memory that had significant influence on your creative career?
-Yes, being the laughing stock and being the punch-line in every others joke on school... That made me "harder" and made me wanna "prove them wrong" and I guess that comedy started out as my "defense". I thought: If I say something stupid about myself before the others do, maybe they will laugh WITH me and not OF me!

Who is your favorite designer (any category)?
-So many:
D-squared
Roberto Cavalli
Dolce & Gabbana
And Antonio Marras.

(I DO NOT LIKE CLOTHES "SHOWING OFF" the brand!!!! So if I REALLY like a jacket or whatever and it says Dolce & Gabbana ALL OVER the back, I WILL NEVER BUY IT! SOORRY, I now I'm not normal... he he, but who wants to be...that would only make us all boring and alike... he he)

I like styles/clothes that make people ask themselves: "Has he bought that on a second hand store, or what is that!", or "Are those clothes old or new?"
Remember: Fashion is something OTHERS make FOR you/us, BUT style is something we make our selves!!!!
As long as YOU feel comfortable and like it, fuck it!! Wear it with pride!

Are you spiritual?
-Yes, and proud of it!



One sensational question, - where do you live?
-The world! I don't have a place I call home I'm sad to say.... as long as I'm close to the ocean and have my toothbrush I guess that is my "home" either in LA,Oslo, Spain or Africa.

Where and how do you find your general inspiration when you work?
-Anger, frustration, sadness , unfairness and watching our society become more and more of the "business made products out there".
But I never do anything to "please the market" or think "I wanna make something I think the masses will like" etc... I only do/make things myself would enjoy or as a kind of "self therapy".

If you were obligated to be Director of a blue movie, who would you cast for the main part among the following candidates, and why?
A: Jens Stoltenberg
B: Kristin Halvorsen
C: Erna Solberg
D: Siv Jensen
(all noted Norwegian political leaders)

-Oh, my god.... what is best: COLERA OR THE BLACK DEATH?
But if you forced me....hm... no I better not spill my sexual fantasies here .... "A gentleman never tells", you know!



Your success in the Norwegian entertainment business is quite
outstanding. What advice can you give young people that eager to express their creativity? Is the law of Jante any longer an obstacle?

-As I said in question number 4!
But yes,"Jante" is as strong as ever I'm sad to say! I guess Norway is a country where envy is stronger than the sexual drive. (This means not everybody of course, but if I was to paint a "black and white picture" this is my answer. BUT I KNOW that only saying this will make me a "target"...but hell, I'm ALWAYS honest either it's in a positive or negative way.)

Anything you would like to add?
-No, only that I feel really blessed to be able to live out my dreams...AND REMEMBER: IF YOU WANNA DO SOMETHING THAT YOU THINK WILL FILL YOUR LIFE WITH SOMETHING POSITIVE, DO IT!!!! Do not care what the rest says! Life is to short! It is better to have loved and lost, or never loved at all! (That is a line for suckers right... he he... even pain and sorrow are strong feelings that gives you a wider perspective of life! Suck it all in, and live life to the fullest and be all you can be! SKY IS THE LIMIT!

I would not have been able to do ANY of my projects (TV, stageshow, comedy, film etc) if I had listened to the people around me! I have ALWAYS heard: "No, this will never work". (Sometimes they may be right, but the most important thing is not making it to the finishing line first BUT being able to be a part of the journey!



YOU CAN ENJOY SELECTED VIDEOCLIPS FROM YOUTUBE BY KRISTIAN VALEN IN THE RNC TV COLUMN TO THE RIGHT.

Photos: (c) Kristian Valen 2006/2007 (c) TV Norge 2006
Text: (c) Roger Norheim Collections 2007
All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction prohibited.

No comments: